Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Tree Hugger




Day 18: I left San Fransico Monday, crossing over the Golden Gate Bridge.  The fog in the bay was so thick I experienced the bridge in small sections as I drove across it.    
I continued up the Northern Coast along U.S. 101 to the Redwood Forest. I took a detour on an old portion of U.S. 101, nicknamed the Avenue of Giants (for the towering redwoods that line the road).  I then spent the night camping in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. Before turning in for the night I went trail running and encountered (and hugged) my fair share of "giants."







 Day 19: On Tuesday, I continued my drive on the Avenue of Giants and took two short hikes in the Founder's Grove and the Rockefeller Forest during which I took the time to hug a couple more trees.






The roots of the tree that was thought to be the tallest
in the world before it fell in 1991

I then continued up 101 to the Del Norte Coast State Park to camp for the night. Along the way I stopped by to say "hi" to Paul Bunyan and Babe at the Trees of Mystery. I went running/hiking in the park before I went to bed and in the morning. The park is all second and third growth forest but was beautiful none the less.




Northern California Coast Line




Bridge on Skyline Trail in Del Norte State Park
Day 20: Today I headed up to Portland. It was a beautiful day so I stopped for a walk on the beach in Northern California before I continued up the Southern Oregon Coast. I finally tired of the view and cut inland to take the interstate into the city. More about Portland tomorrow.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate~
    You are making me want to go on an adventure. Beautiful photos! I know you'll enjoy the northwest also--great cities, mountains, coastline==Enjoy!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, Hannah and Julia-

    Glad to see that the cousins connected and are working out in the sunshine. Hopefully you will get this comment. I just signed on as a blogger so that I could post.

    Photos are awesome and you all look wonderful. Did you really have to do that to your noses!!! You girls are too beautiful to scare it up.

    Love Aunt Annie

    ReplyDelete